Meskel Festival with the Historic Route of Ethiopia 17.-29.Sep 18
- Trip Type Cultural and Festival Tour
- Tour Code GHET-F01
- Private Journey
- 17.-29.Sep 18
- The Meskel Festival with the Historic Route of Ethiopia this is one of the most colorful festivals celebrated in Ethiopia for more than 1600 years. Meskel always have been celebrated in a beautiful weather at the end of the rain season, with a lot of dancing, feasting and lighting a massive bonfire to commemorate the discovery of the true cross on which Jesus Christ has been crucified.
This festival tour provides a traveler with a practical image of the 3000 years historical mysteries and living historical facts and monuments of Ethiopia including the steles of Axum, the temple of Yeha, Palace of Queen of Sheba, the amazing rock-hewn churches of Lalibela and many more. Join us on this journey of discovery as we witness an ancient African culture and civilization.
- Celebration of Meskel “The Finding Of the true cross”
- Bonfire and its processions
- Visit 4 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Be amazed by a visit to the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, “the living wonders of the world”
- Enjoy the magnificent nature and endemic wild life of Simien Mountains
- Travel back in time to explore the ancient city of Axum the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant.
- Discover the fairytale castles of Gondar
- Take cruise on Lake Tana to visit the ancient Island monasteries
- Site the source of the mighty river, the Blue Nile & Blue Nile falls
- Visit the vibrant city of Addis Ababa, Africa’s Capital
- Meet your ancestor LUCY at the National Museum in Addis Ababa
- Test varied Ethiopian food and attend Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony
Day 01: Arrive Addis Ababa
Arrive in Addis Ababa (ADD),Ethiopia. Welcome to Ethiopia! Upon arrival at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport, you will be welcomed and assisted by your tour guide and driver for the transfer to KalebHotel (4*). There will be a short drive to your hotel. In you arrive in the morning we can arrange an optional city tour.
Day 02: Addis Ababa - Bahir Dar
In the morning, drive to Bahirdar through the Great Blue Nile Gorge with a stopover at different small towns like Dejen, Chancho and GohaTsion.
Day 03: Lake Tana- Nile Falls
In the morning we will make a boatcruise and visit some island monasteries from the 13th and 14th century. After having lunch at the hotel, we will drive 35 KM to visit the majestic Blue Nile Falls.
Day 04: Bahir Dar - Gondar
After breakfast, drive to Gondar through the beautiful countryside scenery to arrive at Gondar around lunchtime. After lunch tour of the ancient city of Gonder.
Day 05: Gondar - Simien Mountains National Park-Axum
After an early breakfast, we will drive to the Simien mountains National park. The rest of the day, trek to explore the surrounding of Snakaber, part of the Simien Mountains National Park.
Day 06: Simien Mountains National Park-Axum
After breakfast start driving to Axum through the beautiful sceneries of Simien Mountains, Limalimo, Tekeze River Gorge.
Day 07: Axum
After breakfast, we will start to visit the ancient city of Axum which include: the Stele Square, Kaleba Tombs, the 4thcentury Christian inscription of King Ezana, Queen of Sheba’s Palace, Archeological Museum, and Tsion Mariam Church where the original Ark of the Covenant is housed.
Day 08: Axum-Mekele
In the morning, drive to Mekele, through the stunning and historical mountains of Adwa en-route visiting the Pre-Christian temple of Yeha and Wikro Cherkos.
Day 09: Mekele-Lalibela
After breakfast, start driving north to Lalibela through Sekota en-route you will visit YimrhaneKirstos and different villages of the Agwe tribal people.
Day 10: Meskel Eve at Lalibela
In the morning, visit the first group of rock-hewn churches. The rock-hewn churches that we will visit today include: BeteMedhaniAlem, Bete Mariam, BeteMeskel, BeteDenagil.
Day 11: Meskel Festival at Lalibela
In the morning, we will witness one of the most colorful festivals held in Ethiopia, the Meskel Festival at Lalibela.
The rest of the day, we will continue our journey into Ethiopia’s long and marvelous past with a visit to other St. Lalibela’s remarkable churches. The rock-hewn churches that we will visit this afternoon include: BeteGebriel, BeteMercorios, BeteAmanuel, Bethlehem and Bete Aba Libanos.
Day 12: Lalibela-Kombolcha
In the morning drive to Kombolchaon top of the amazing YejuWadlaDelanta land-bridge, a high land plateau which adjoins the Wello and Gondar regions and the beautiful Lasta Mountains. You will also be driving through the towns of Weldia and Dessie.
Day 13: Kombolcha-Addis Ababa-Departure
In the morning, drive to Addis Ababa throughKemise, Ataye, Shewarobit and Debresina. At Kemiise we will have the chance to see multi-tribal local market.
In the evening, there will be Grand Holidays’ complimentary farewell dinner party with traditional special buffet and local drinks (flight schedule permitting). At the end of the farewell dinner, transfer to Addis Ababa airport for the flight back. End of tour.