The Historic Route With Tigray Rock-Hewn Churches — 14 Days
- Trip Type Cultural Tour
- Tour Code GHET-024
- Private Journey
- 14 Days
- Discover the land what used to be one the greatest kingdoms of the world. Enjoy breathtaking scenery and endemic wildlife. This is a guided private tour the Classic Historic Route of Ethiopia, Simien Mountains National Park as well as the less visited, but amazing Tigray Rock-Hewn Churches.
Discover the land that used to be one the greatest kingdoms of the world as you travel to the Historic Route of Ethiopia, Simien Mountains, and Tigray Rock-Hewn Churches. This cultural tour combines some of the most ancient history and culture of Ethiopia and the breathtaking scenery of the Simien Mountains and Gerhlta area. On this tour you will also have the chance to view some endemic wildlife in the Simien Mountains.
- Visit 4 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Be amazed by a visit to the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, one of "the living wonders of the world".
- Enjoy the magnificent nature and endemic wilife of Simien Mountains.
- Explore the less-visited Tigray rock-hewn churches.
- Travel back in time to explore the ancient city of Axum — the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant.
- Discover the fairytale castles of Gondar.
- Take a cruise on Lake Tana to visit the ancient island monasteries.
- See the source of the mighty Blue Nile Rive and Blue Nile Falls.
- Visit the vibrant city of Addis Ababa.
- Meet your ancestor Lucy at the National Museum in Addis Ababa.
- Try the varied Ethiopian food.
- Attend an Ethiopian coffee ceremony.
Day 1: Addis Ababa
Arrive in Addis Ababa and take a tour of the city in the afternoon.
Day 2: Addis Ababa, Bahirdar
In the morning, we drive to Bahirdar through the Great Blue Nile Gorge.
Day 3: Lake Tana, Blue Nile Falls, Bahir Dar
In the morning, we visit the ancient island monasteries of Lake Tana. In the afternoon, we visit the Blue Nile Falls.
Day 4: Bahir Dar, Gondar
After breakfast, we drive to Gondar through the beautiful countryside scenery. In the afternoon, we visit the castle compound built from the 17th century and the Debre Berhan Selassie Church.
Day 5: Gondar, Simien Mountains National Park
After an early breakfast, we will drive to the Simien Mountains National Park. For the rest of the day, we will trek around the park.
Day 6: Simien Mountains National Park, Axum
After breakfast, we drive to Axum through the beautiful scenery of the Simien Mountains and the Tekeze River Gorge.
Day 7: Axum, Yeha
After breakfast, we visit the ancient city of Axum. In the afternoon, we will visit the pre-Christian temple of Yeha.
Day 8: Axum, Hauzien
In the morning, we drive to Hauzien, the center of some of the most ancient rock-hewn churches, through the stunning and historical mountainous town of Adwa.
Day 9: Hauzien
Today, we will explore the Tigray rock-hewn churches and the beautiful surrounding mountains of the area.
Day 10: Hauzien, Mekele
In the morning, we drive to Mekele visiting some of the most ancient Tigray rock-hewn churches including Wikro Cherkos, Abrha We-atsbeha, and Dugum Selassie enroute.
Day 11: Mekele, Lalibela
After breakfast, we drive north to Lalibela through Sekota. Enroute we will visit Yimrhane Kirstos and different villages of the Agwe tribal people.
Day 12: Lalibela
In the morning, we visit the first group of rock-hewn churches in Lalibela dating from 1200 AD. In the afternoon, we continue visiting the rock-hewn churches in the second group.
Day 13: Lalibela, Asheten Mariam
In the morning, we take a mule ride and trek to the top of Asheten Mariam Monastery.
Day 14: Lalibela, Addis Ababa, Departure
After breakfast, we transfer to Lalibela airport for the flight to Addis Ababa. For the rest of the day, we take a city tour of Addis Ababa that includes the National Museum, Ethnographic Museum, and Mercato, the largest open-air market in Africa.
In the evening, we enjoy a traditional dinner with a live cultural dance show of the different tribes. At the end of the farewell dinner, transfer to Addis Ababa airport for the flight back. End of tour.