The Historic Route of Ethiopia by air 10 days
- Trip Type Cultural Tour
- Tour Code GHET-001B
- Private tour with expert local guide, customized to your interest
- 10 Days
- These tour takes you in to the highlights of the Historic Route of Ethiopia. As you travel by air, with more time to explore the different sites.
Welcome to the beauty of Ethiopia’s Historic Route! The magnificent cultures and landscapes are indicative of an extraordinary past. It has left mark on the land, the people and their monuments. In this fascinating land the past comes alive in the form of strange and beautiful monuments and ruins, built long centuries ago in what used to be one of the greatest kingdoms of the world. Moreover, it is a past, which began as the cradle of mankind.
These tour takes you in to the highlights of the Historic Route of Ethiopia. As you travel by air, with more time to explore the different sites.
- Visit three UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Visit the ancient city of Axum, the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant.
- Wonder the magnificent rock-hewn churches of Lalibela
- Explore the fairytale castles of Gonder
- Take a boat cruise to visit the Island Monasteries of Lake Tana
- Discover the source of the mighty River, Blue Nile and Blue Nile Falls
- Taste varied Ethiopian food and attend Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony
- City tour of Addis Ababa, the African Capital
- Meet with your ancestor, LUCY at the National Museum.
- Mingle with the local people and many more
Day 01: Arrive Addis Ababa
Arrive at Bole (ADD), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and transfer to hotel. If you arrive in the morning an optional city tour of Addis Ababa can be arranged.
Day 02: Addis Ababa-Axum
In the morning, transfer to Addis Ababa Airport for your flight to Axum. The rest of the day, tour of the ancient city of Axum.
Your today’s visit in Axum include: the Stele field, Kaleba Tombs, the 4th centaury Christian inscription of King Ezana, Queen of Sheba’s Palace, Archeological Museum, and Tsion Mariam Church where the original Ark of the Covenant is housed.
Day 03: Axum-Yeha-Debre Damo
After breakfast, you will have an excursion to to the pre-Christian temple of Yeha.
Day 04: Axum-Lalibela
After breakfast, transfer to Axum Airport for the flight to Lalibela. In the morning, fly to Lalibela and visit the first group of rock-hewn churches from the 1200 AD.
Day 05: Lalibela-Asheten Mariam
In the morning, mule ride, and trek to the top of Asheten Mariam Monastery. In the afternoon, visit the second group of rock-hewn churches.
Day 06: Lalibela-Gondar
After breakfast, transfer to Lalibela airport for the flight to Gondar. In the afternoon, you will start your tour of Gondar.
Your tour include: The Royal Enclosure, the pool of King Fasilidas, and the famous Deberberhan Sillassie church.
Day 07: Excursion to Simien Mountains/Gondar
Full day excursion to the Simien Mountains National Park.
Day 08: Gondar-Bahirdar
In the morning, drive to Bahirdar and an afternoon boat cruise on Lake Tana to visit the island monasteries.
Day 09: Blue Nile Falls- Bahirdar
After breakfast, drive 35 KM to visit the majestic Blue Nile Falls. In the afternoon, walk around the town and visit the colorful local market.
Day 10: Bahirdar-Addis Ababa-Departure
In the morning, transfer to the airport for the flight to Addis. Optional city tour depending on your departure time.
In the evening, there will be Grand Holidays’ complimentary farewell dinner party. There will not be better way of ending a trip. (flight schedule permitting) At the end of the farewell dinner, transfer to Addis Ababa airport for the flight back . End of tour!