The Historic Route of Ethiopia and the Simien Mountains — 11 Days
- Trip Type Private Journey
- Tour Code GHET-021
- Private Journey
- 11 Days
- This 11 days cultural tour program takes you on a cultural & nature tour to the Historic Route of Ethiopia with the Simien Mountains National Park. This will enable you to discover Ethiopia’s ancient history and undiluted culture. You will spend few days enjoying the magnificent nature of Simien Mountains, make a relaxing mountain trekking with the troops of Gelada Baboon and see other endemic wildlife. On this tour you will also have the chance to interact with the local people and learn from their culture and life style.
This 11-day cultural tour takes you to the Historic Route of Ethiopia and the Simien Mountains National Park. You will discover Ethiopia’s ancient history and authentic culture while enjoying the magnificent landscape and spotting wildlife. Plus, you will also have the chance to interact with the local people and learn about their culture and lifestyle.
- Take a relaxing trek in the breathtaking Simien Mountains National Park as you view troops of Gelada Baboons.
- Discover endemic wildlife in the Simien Mountains.
- Visit 4 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Be amazed by a visit to the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, one of "the living wonders of the world".
- Explore the ancient city of Axum, the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant.
- Discover the fairytale castles of Gonder.
- Take a boat ride on Lake Tana to visit the ancient island monasteries.
- See the source of the mighty Blue Nile River and Blue Nile Falls.
- Visit the vibrant city of Addis Ababa.
- Meet your ancestor Lucy at the National Museum in Addis Ababa.
- Try the varied Ethiopian food.
- Attend an Ethiopian coffee ceremony.
Day 1: Arrive Addis Ababa
Arrive in Addis Ababa and spend the afternoon taking a city tour of Addis Ababa.
Day 2: Addis Ababa, Bahirdar
In the morning, we drive to Bahirdar through the Great Blue Nile Gorge.
Day 3: Lake Tana, Blue Nile Falls, Bahir Dar
In the morning, we visit the ancient island monasteries of Lake Tana. In the afternoon, we visit the Blue Nile Falls.
Day 4: Bahir Dar, Gondar
After breakfast, we drive to Gondar through beautiful countryside scenery. In the afternoon, we visit the castle compound built from the 17th century as well as the Debre Birhan Selassie church.
Day 5: Gondar, Simien Mountains National Park
After an early breakfast, we will drive to the Simien mountains National park. For the rest of the day, we will trek around the park.
Day 6: Sankaber, Chenek, Simien Mountains
Today, we will take relaxing trek in some the most dramatic areas of the park including the Ginbar River Falls and Wolkafit Mountains chain.
Day 7: Simien Mountains National Park, Axum
After breakfast, we drive to Axum through the Simien Mountains and Tekeze River Gorge.
Day 8: Axum, Yeha
After breakfast, we will visit the ancient city of Axum. In the afternoon, we take an excursion to the pre-Christian temple of Yeha.
Day 9: Axum, Lalibela
In the morning, we fly to Lalibela and visit the first group of rock-hewn churches built from 1200 AD.
Day 10: Lalibela, Asheten Mariam
In the morning, we take a mule ride and trek to the top of Asheten Mariam Monastery. In the afternoon, we visit the second group of rock-hewn churches.
Day 11: Lalibela, Addis Ababa
In the morning, we fly to Addis Ababa. For the rest of the day, we take a city tour of Addis Ababa which includes the Mercato, Entoto, and Piassa. In the evening, there will be traditional dinner and live cultural dance show. At the end of the farewell dinner, transfer to Addis Ababa airport for the flight back. End of tour.