Cultural Tour "Historic Route" with Harar and Awash — 18 days
- Trip Type Cultural Tour
- Tour Code GHET-028
- Private Journey
- 17 Days
- Highlights of Ethiopia, mind blowing rock hewn churches Lalibela & amazing culture. Welcome to the beauty of Ethiopia’s Historic Routes! The magnificent cultures and landscapes are indicative of an extraordinary past. It has left mark on the land, the people and their monuments. In this fascinating land the past comes alive in the form of strange and beautiful monuments and ruins, built long centuries ago in what used to be one of the greatest kingdoms of the world. Moreover, it is a past which began as the cradle of mankind.
Witness one of “the living wonders of the world” with a visit to the 12th-century rock-hewn churches of St. Lalibela. On this journey, you will discover an ancient African civilization with a centuries-old culture.
This cultural tour takes you on Ethiopia’s Historic Route North with the Simien Mountains, splendid Gheralta clusters, the ancient city of Harar, and Awash National Park. You will visit five UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Marvel at the spectacular 2,000-year-old stele at Axum, the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela built more than 800 years ago, the castles of Gondar, the island monasteries of Lake Tana, the walled city of Harar, Awash national park, and the Great Blue Nile Falls as well as the friendly and charming people.
- Visit six UNESCO World Heritage Sites, two of which are national parks
- Be amazed by a visit to the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, one of “the living wonders of the world”
- Enjoy the magnificent nature and endemic wildlife of the Simien Mountains
- Experience breathtaking highland scenery
- Travel back in time to explore the ancient city of Axum, the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant
- Discover the fairytale castles of Gondar
- Take a cruise on Lake Tana to visit the ancient island monasteries
- Visit the mighty Blue Nile River and Blue Nile falls
- Discover an old walled city and the fourth holiest city of Islam
- Discover the wildlife of Awash National Park
- Visit the vibrant city of Addis Ababa, Africa’s capital
- Meet your ancestor Lucy at the National Museum in Addis Ababa
- Try the varied Ethiopian food
- Attend an Ethiopian coffee ceremony
Day 01: Arrive Addis Ababa
Arrive in Addis Ababa and afternoon city tour of Addis Ababa.
Day 02: Addis Ababa-Bahirdar
In the morning, drive to Bahirdar through the Great Blue Nile Gorge.
Day 03: Lake Tana-Blue Nile Falls-Bahir Dar
In the morning, visit the ancient island monasteries of Lake Tana. In the afternoon, visit the Blue Nile Falls.
Day 04: Bahir Dar-Gondar
After breakfast, drive to Gondar through the beautiful countryside scenery. In the afternoon visit the castle compound from the 17th century and Debre Birhan Selassie church.
Day 05: Gondar-Simien Mountains National Park
After an early breakfast, we will drive to the Simien mountains National park. The rest of the day, trek around the park
Day 06: Simien Mountains National Park-Axum
After breakfast start driving to Axum through the beautiful sceneries of Simien Mountains, Limalimo, Tekeze River Gorge.
Day 07: Axum-Yeha
After breakfast, we will start to visit the ancient city of Axum. In the afternoon, an excursion to the pre-Christian temple of Yeha.
Day 08: Axum-Hauzien
In the morning, drive to Hauzien, the center of some of the most ancient rock-hewn churches, through the stunning and historical mountainous of Adwa.
Day 09: Hauzien
Today, you will explore the Tigray rock-hewn churches and the beautiful surrounding mountains of the area.
Day 10: Hauzien-Mekele
In the morning, drives to Mekele en-route visit some of the most ancient Tigray rock-hewn churches including: Wikro Cherkos, Abrha We-atsbeha, Dugum Selassie and so on.
Day 11: Mekele-Lalibela
After breakfast, start driving north to Lalibela through Sekota en-route you will visit Yimrhane Kirstos and different villages of the Agwe tribal people.
Day 12: Rock-hewn churches of Lalibela
In the morning, visit the first group of rock-hewn churches from the 1200 AD. In the afternoon, continue visiting the rock-hewn churches in the second group.
Day 13: Lalibela-Asheten Mariam
In the morning, mule ride, and trek to the top of Asheten Mariam Monastery.
Day 14: Lalibela-Addis Ababa
After breakfast, transfer to Lalibela airport for the flight to Addis Ababa. The rest of the day city tour of Addis Ababa which include: the National Museum, Ethnographic Museum and Merkato the largest open air market in Africa.
Day 15: Addis Ababa-Diredawa-Harar
In the morning fly to Diredawa and continue driving to Harar. The rest of the day visit the ancient city.
Day 16: Full day in Harar
In the morning visit the colorful open air African markets, and walk around the ancient city. After lunch, visit the Hadere Villages.
Day 17: Harar-Awash National Park-Nazreth
In the morning drive to Nazreth through Awash National Park.
Day 18: Nazreth-Debrezeit-Addis Ababa
In the morning drive to Addis Ababa through the creator lakes of Debrezeit. The rest of the day is left for shopping and preparation for the flight back.