Cultural Tour "Historic Route" with Harar and Awash — 18 Days
- Trip Type Cultural Tour
- Tour Code GHET-028
- Private Journey
- 17 Days
- This Highlights of Ethiopia tour includes the mind-blowing rock-hewn churches at Lalibela and exploration of this amazing culture. Welcome to the beauty of Ethiopia’s Historic Route. The magnificent cultures and landscapes are indicative of an extraordinary past. It has left a mark on the land, the people, and their monuments. In this fascinating land, the past comes alive in the form of strange and beautiful monuments and ruins, built centuries ago in what used to be one of the greatest kingdoms of the world. Moreover, it is a past that began as the cradle of mankind.
Witness one of “the living wonders of the world” with a visit to the 12th-century rock-hewn churches of Lalibela. On this journey, you will discover an ancient African civilization with a centuries-old culture.
This cultural tour takes you on Ethiopia’s Historic Route North with the Simien Mountains, splendid Gheralta clusters, the ancient city of Harar, and Awash National Park. You will visit five UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Marvel at the spectacular 2,000-year-old stele at Axum, the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela built more than 800 years ago, the castles of Gondar, the island monasteries of Lake Tana, the walled city of Harar, Awash National Park, and the Great Blue Nile Falls, as well as the friendly and charming people.
- Visit six UNESCO World Heritage Sites, two of which are national parks
- Be amazed by a visit to the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, one of “the living wonders of the world”
- Enjoy the magnificent nature and endemic wildlife of the Simien Mountains
- Experience breathtaking highland scenery
- Travel back in time to explore the ancient city of Axum, the last resting place of the Ark of the Covenant
- Discover the fairytale castles of Gondar
- Take a cruise on Lake Tana to visit the ancient island monasteries
- Visit the mighty Blue Nile River and Blue Nile falls
- Discover an old walled city and the fourth holiest city of Islam
- Discover the wildlife of Awash National Park
- Visit the vibrant city of Addis Ababa, Africa’s capital
- Meet your ancestor Lucy at the National Museum in Addis Ababa
- Try the varied Ethiopian food
- Attend an Ethiopian coffee ceremony
Day 1: Arrive Addis Ababa
Arrive in Addis Ababa and afternoon city tour of Addis Ababa.
Day 2: Addis Ababa, Bahirdar
In the morning, drive to Bahirdar through the Great Blue Nile Gorge.
Day 3: Lake Tana, Blue Nile Falls, Bahir Dar
In the morning, visit the ancient island monasteries of Lake Tana. In the afternoon, visit the Blue Nile Falls.
Day 4: Bahir Dar, Gondar
After breakfast, drive to Gondar through the beautiful countryside scenery. In the afternoon, visit the castle compound from the 17th century and Debre Birhan Selassie Church.
Day 5: Gondar, Simien Mountains National Park
After an early breakfast, we will drive to Simien Mountains National Park. For the rest of the day, we will trek around the park.
Day 6: Simien Mountains National Park, Axum
After breakfast, we drive to Axum through the beautiful scenery of Simien Mountains, Limalimo, and Tekeze River Gorge.
Day 7: Axum, Yeha
After breakfast, we will visit the ancient city of Axum. In the afternoon, we have an excursion to the pre-Christian temple of Yeha.
Day 8: Axum, Hauzien
In the morning, we drive to Hauzien, the center of some of the most ancient rock-hewn churches, through the stunning and historical mountainous of Adwa.
Day 9: Hauzien
Today, you will explore the Tigray rock-hewn churches and the beautiful surrounding mountains of the area.
Day 10: Hauzien, Mekele
In the morning, we drive to Mekele enroute visiting some of the most ancient Tigray rock-hewn churches including Wikro Cherkos, Abrha We-atsbeha, and Dugum Selassie.
Day 11: Mekele, Lalibela
After breakfast, we drive north to Lalibela through Sekota. Enroute you will visit Yimrhane Kirstos and different villages of the Agwe tribal people.
Day 12: Rock-hewn churches of Lalibela
In the morning, we visit the first group of rock-hewn churches built from the 12th century. In the afternoon, we continue visiting the rock-hewn churches in the second group.
Day 13: Lalibela, Asheten Mariam
In the morning, we take a mule ride and trek to the top of Asheten Mariam Monastery.
Day 14: Lalibela, Addis Ababa
After breakfast, we transfer to Lalibela airport for the flight to Addis Ababa. For the rest of the day, we take a city tour of Addis Ababa which includes the National Museum, Ethnographic Museum, and Mercato, the largest open air market in Africa.
Day 15: Addis Ababa, Diredawa, Harar
In the morning, we fly to Diredawa and continue driving to Harar. For the rest of the day, we visit the ancient city.
Day 16: Full day in Harar
In the morning, we visit the colorful open-air African markets and walk around the ancient city. After lunch, we visit the Hadere villages.
Day 17: Harar, Awash National Park, Nazreth
In the morning, we drive to Nazreth through Awash National Park.
Day 18: Nazreth, Debre Zeit, Addis Ababa
In the morning, we drive to Addis Ababa through the crater lakes of Debre Zeit. The rest of the day is left for shopping and preparation for the flight back.